Friday, January 27, 2017

Chinese New Year "Cake"









Chinese New Year reminds me of good food and lots of endless goodies munches ! It is nimble, nimble the whole day through, from one place to another, every home tries to outdo others with their own secret recipes home-made goodies. It could be special brew of tea or juicing from own garden fruits to special fried stuff and baked goodies.


Here is the most important of all items in Chinese New Year celebrations, it is a must have, you dont make it then you have to buy it. If you can make, you probably will receive them as gifts from others who visit you.

I have modified the recipes a few times over, hoping to get the right consistency and taste that we all love.

Original Nyonya Glutinuous Rice Kuih

10 Eggs
1 litre Canned Coconut milk
500 gm Glutinuous Rice Flour
500 gm Sugar

Mix well and bake 180 C for 50-60 mins, Pierce with stick to know its done.

Remarks :- Taste really good, colour a bit pale looking, children love it. I felt its too rich in content, high in eggs, high in sugar, high in Coconut milk too !

Modified by Doria Version 1

8 Eggs
500 ml Canned Coconut milk
500 gm Glutinuous Rice Flour
500 gm Gula Melaka + 500 ml water (boiled and cooled)

This only difference was that the Kuih is darker  and richer in colour. But I still felt its a bit too sticky and the egg taste quite strong.



Modified 2.0

8 Large Eggs
500 gm Gula Melaka or Molasses in 800 ml water
500 gm Glutinous Rice
1 pack of Santan Powder

140 C bake for 1 hour
Use Silicone Mould

I made lots of this Nian Gao Kuih since 2015 (?), there is no turning back after I discovered this recipe.

Now, I made them as 4 portions size, the maximum my giant basin can hold.
It yields about 5.5 litre of fluid.
The Rectangular mould from Rebecca holds 2 litres
The Ikea Heart holds about 1-1.5 litre
The Blue flower mould (the best size) holds about 600 ml
The two small Daiso moulds hold about 400 ml each.

I think this year I have baked easily 4 rounds of 4 portions, that be 128 eggs, which is 4 trays and 8 eggs ! The costing is about RM20.70 per portion of ingredients.

No comments:

Featured Post

Amazing Facts about who are the sons of Noah

I love this video clips. It makes a lot of sense to me.