Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Crystal Skin Mooncakes


Image result for mid-autumn festival
I have wanted to learn how to make mooncakes for a long time! Every year, I would find more recipes and yet could not find the courage or the time to make them. I was afraid of failure. Three years ago, Wendy taught in our GB meeting Crystal Skin Mooncakes, I was happy to test them and ate them up. I asked for the recipe and bought a pack of Koh Flour and I procrastinated and the Mid-Autumn Festival was gone and the flour unused.

Related image
Finally, three years later, I told her that I must make them this year but I did not buy the Koh Flour until I was ready. It turned out that she has discovered an improved recipe and she changed it based on her experiences too. Here is the recipe she taught me.

Crystal Skin

100 gm Koh Flour
 50 gm  Icing Sugar
 40 gm Shortening
120 ml Water

For flavour, pour that into the water before mixing in. On the first day, she showed me how to do it, I immediately added the following:-

Pandan Green for pandan flavour (Pandan Green Essence put into water)
Chocolate flavour (Put Chocolate into the mixture), possible to add Coffee Essence
Macha Green Tea flavour (Pour Macha powder into the mixture), the flavour is a bit weak.

1) Sieve Icing sugar and Koh flour
2) Add in shortening and pour in water (flavoured)
3) Mix well until becoming a dough.

Wrap in plastic bag and put aside for at least 20 minutes before use. Possible to keep in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.

Filling (chocolate)

2 Tbsp Milk
1 Tbsp Irish Bailey
50 gm Icing Sugar
180-200 gm Cooking Chocolate

2 Egg Yolk
1 Tbsp Milk
1 Tbsp Custard Powder

1) Double boil Milk, Irish Bailey, Icing Sugar and then remove from fire, add in chopped Cooking Chocolates.
2) Whisk lightly Egg Yolk, Milk, Custard Powder and pour into the melted chocolate. Stir until thick Stir until thicken. Keep for 2 hours before use.
3) Possible to mix chocolate filling with red bean paste.
I would measure and roll dough and also use the ratio of 35 gm skin and 25 gm fillings.

Choice of Filling paste 
  1. Purple Sweet potatoes - best method is to add condensed milk into the potaotes mixture and stir to the right consistency.  
  2. Chocolate fillings. 
  • 2 Tbsp Milk
  • 1 Tbsp Irish Bailey
  • 50 gm Icing Sugar
  • 2 Egg Yolk
  • 1 Tbsp Milk
  • 1 Tbsp Custard powder


Measurement :-

For every 100 gm of Koh Flour, it can make 8 Mini small mooncakes. Each mooncake skin is 25 - 30 gm, the filling is 10 gm lesser than the skin. So I was using 35 gm for crystal skin and 25 gm for filling. For filling, I use 10 gm lesser, 25 gm of filling and roll them up.

Finally, success! And Success is Sweet! Today is the Mid-Autumn Festival ! 


No comments:

Featured Post

Amazing Facts about who are the sons of Noah

I love this video clips. It makes a lot of sense to me.